Venison Taco Salad | Venison Mince Recipe
Allow 20-30 mins to prep + cook
Easy, delicious + nutritious
Serves 4 adults
Have a taco night, any night with our twist on a favourite American Tex-Mex salad, using locally sourced Venison Mince instead of Beef Steak Mince, this is not only delicious but packed with healthy, lean protein. This is our favourite toppings but it’s easy to adjust to make it your own.
For the Salad
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 500g Aberdeenshire Larder Venison Mince
- 1 pack of Taco or fajita seasoning
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 pouch Gran Luchito Chipotle Refried Beans
- 160g Gran Luchito Taco Shells, crushed
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced or cut into chunks
- 2 tomatoes, chopped into chunks
- 150g Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 30g coriander, finely chopped or leaves picked
For the taco salad dressing
- ½ lime, juiced
- 100ml soured cream
- 1 tsp Chipotle Chilli Paste
- Extra Dressing
- Extra crunched up tacos
- And, Mango + Habanero Salsa
- Add half the lime juice to a bowl and mix through the red onion + a little salt, put to one side.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, and break in the Venison Mince, cook for 15-20 mins. Any liquid released will bubble away, but as the mince is very lean, try to keep it moving in the pan to avoid sticking.
- Allow the mince to browns and caramelise well. If the pan becomes too dry, add a drizzle more oil, or a splash of water. When nicely browned, add the seasoning and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the tomato purée and add remaining lime juice, sizzle for 1 minute. Taste for seasoning, set aside.
- Make the dressing by combining the lime juice, soured cream, and chilli paste (if using!), season to taste, set aside.
- Crunch and scatter the taco shells into a bowl, you can warm these through first for extra flavour. Then add a layer of lettuce, then the mince, then a few dollops of Refried Beans, and top with avocado, chopped tomato, your homemade pickled red onions, and the Feta Cheese. Drizzle over the dressing, and scatter over coriander.
- Top with a few more crunched up taco shells and a drizzle of the moreish hot, sweet, Mango + Habanero Chilli Salsa, and enjoy!
- We love this with a chilled MYXD Pink Gin Strawberry Southside Cocktail.