This delicious chicken taco is a great way to feed the whole family while sneaking some veggies into dinner too! Our shredded chicken tacos are made with 100% chicken breast, high in protein and low in fat. Personalise this recipe and serve your shredded chicken in quesadillas or a burrito bowl.
1. First, poach your chicken. Place chicken in a saucepan, and cover with water or stock of your choice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 10-12 minutes. Remove the chicken from the liquid onto a chopping board, and shred well using 2 forks.
2. In a frying pan, warm your oil and sauté the onion until it’s soft and translucent – this usually takes 3 minutes.
3. In the same pan, add the garlic and cook for around 30 seconds
4. Then add cumin, chilli powder, and salt, cooking for 1 minute more
5. Add the salsa, mix it in (if it’s a bit thick, add a splash of water from the poaching liquid) and let everything warm up together.
6. Add the chicken to the mix and combine with the sauce, simmering until heated through
7. And, serve! Pile into warmed-up soft tortillas, taco shells, make quesadillas, or burrito bowls and load with your favourite toppings.
Toppings For Shredded Chicken Tacos:
Cheese: Grated cheddar, crumbled Feta, Spicy Mexican, or your favourite cheese!
Citrus: A squeeze of lime juice can pull everything together
And if there are leftovers? Make Burrito Bowls: Rice, coriander, lime zest, refried beans – and the all-important toppings! Or use your leftover chicken to try some of our other chicken dinner recipes like Chicken Chopped Salad with avocado and bacon.