Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta | One Pot Meal | Chicken Dinner Recipe
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is an easy one-pot weeknight meal that will please the whole family. The cajun seasoning in a cream cheese sauce makes this meal a favourite for all ages. A no-fuss meal that will get the whole family to try something new.
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- (or, 4 teaspoons of pre-prepared Cajun seasoning)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 450g chicken breast or skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 white onion, diced
- 325g penne pasta
- 100g Sun-dried tomatoes
- 500ml chicken stock
- 60g cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Combine the ingredients for the Cajun seasoning in a small bowl.
- Cut the chicken into bitesize cubes.
- Place the cubed chicken in a bowl, pour the Cajun seasoning over top, and stir to coat the chicken in spices.
- Add the olive oil and butter to a large deep pan. Heat the oil and butter over a medium-high heat until the pan is hot and the butter is melted and foaming.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes on each side to give it some colour. The chicken does not need to be cooked through.
- Add the diced onion and sauté for 2 minutes more, or just until the onion begins to soften. Allow the moisture from the onion to dissolve any browned tasty bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Next, add the pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, and chicken stock to the pan and stir to evenly combine, then place a lid on top and allow the broth to come up to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and let the pasta simmer for about ten minutes, stirring every couple of minutes until the pasta is tender and the liquid is thick and saucy.
- Add the cream cheese, and stir until it melts into the sauce.
- Top the pasta with sliced green onions and serve.